Friday, October 5, 2007

4 quick questions with Lucie Boshier!

If you've been anywhere near Newmarket in the past year, you'll know that Lucie Boshier has stunning dresses worthy of a princess! I was lucky enough to have her answer a few quick questions for me...

1. What made you want to be a fashion designer?
No idea! I have been drawing and designing since I was a child. I love clothes and dressing up and creating.

2. What inspires your collections?
It can be anything, not necessarily always positive either. My inspiration usually contains madness and colour like Mexico, or a flamboyant artist or band. My last range was inspired by the controversial photographer David LaChapelle.

3. What do you think of the New Zealand fashion industry at the moment?
I think it’s no different to anywhere else in the world only our clothes are less diverse and there is so much god-damn black! It does not make you appear thinner or look sophisticated when you wear it everyday.

4. What are your beliefs on the skinny model issue and do you think it is relevant to NZers?
I think that there is no excuse for using underweight girls for modeling. The new problem is the age factor though – the industry is getting girls younger and younger so that they are naturally thin at that age. Older girls and woman that are then forced into having to look at fashion worn by these pubescent teenagers and I believe get low self esteems for not being able to look the same way. At some point most women will grow breasts and hips as this is a natural human trait in order to reproduce. The fashion industry is training men and women to look at children in a sexually provocative way – this will lead to sexual abuse and sexual dissatisfaction for both genders (men can’t have it, women can’t be it). There is no excuse. Children are not the target market in high fashion; they do not look better in the clothes and will not help to sell the clothes. It is very relevant to New Zealand and all over the world. The fashion industry has a lot to answer for.


^ Her colourful store in Newmarket - check it out next time you're nearby!

1 comment:

Ashliee_Martian said...

I LOVE LUCIEEE :)) I actually just wrote a blog about her and I'm studying fashion also. Yay =]]