Monday, October 1, 2007

Rain, dresses and nail polish...

Went shopping today and in a nutshell, it was pretty depressing. Seeing all the beautiful summer collections in shops and a) not being able to afford anything and b) watching the rain bucket down outside the shop made me feel like just curling up in front of the fireplace with a nice warm mochaccino. Except we dont have a fireplace and I've already had two coffees today so if I have any more I'll be bouncing off the walls. Last time I had too much caffeine (a red bull and two lattes) I ran around Newmarket singing "I'm a little teapot" and got a few weird looks.
So, it started raining heavily and we pretty much just ran into the nearest shop, which happened to be Lucie Boshier. I hadn't been in there since last summer (I hate wearing colourful clothes in the winter) and I'd forgotten how pretty the dresses were. So girly and glamorous - it reminds me of Betsey Johnson.

The other place with really nice dresses is "Second to None" - most of the dresses look like they were bought, worn once then given away. It seems to be the kind of place where middle aged ladies would shop but I found a few gems (none of which I bought unfortunately). The prices are reasonable - between $100 and $500 for most dresses. I can't remember the name of the road that its in but it comes off Khyber Pass Rd and smells like malt (theres a beer factory behind it).
And of all shops, Cotton On has some nice (mens) t-shirts which ladies could probably get away with wearing. I got a nice cardi (the third grey cardigan I've bought this season) for $5 from there today - at least I got a nice plastic bag to cover my hair while it was pouring.

I had a look in four different shops for blue OPI nail polish and they had all sold out of Russian Navy - I guess most Aucklanders aren't as out of the loop as I thought they were. I took the catalogue of the shades from one of the pharmacies - they hardly sell any of those colours! Mostly reds and pinks, how boring. Below is the colour chart for the "Brights" collection. I want every shade, but that would cost me a few hundred dollars.



Oh, I almost forgot - The Body Shop is selling t-shirts designed by Karen Walker from the 4th - 10th of October for $40, of which $20 goes to WSPA (World Society for Protection of Animals). I haven't seen them yet but I shall definitely check them out when they come out!!

1 comment:

Natyashenka said...

Great to see more NZers blogging and tfsing etc!, keep up the good work.